May 3, 2011
I never thought the title of my 100th blogpost with Blogactiv will sound so pessimistic.
But the way things are going, barbed wire could become the new symbol of Europe.
In a very short time, we have seen;
– a conflict between France and Italy over a number of economic migrants which in fact is not really high. A think-tank has called the row “a shameful race to the bottom“;
– another founding member of the EU, the Netherlands, devising various ways to circumvent EU law, and to pleasing a xenophobic electorate: by expelling EU citizens, by curbing workers from the newest EU members;
– the Commission is playing ball and is ready to change EU law, the inter-governmental approach substituting the community acquis;
– EU hopefuls behaving irresponsibly and giving little chance to those who still want to help them join the Union;
– EU members forgetting about promises made in the past regarding future EU enlargements.
My blog is still called “Reuniting Europe”. Should I think of another name?